Tuesday, September 30, 2008

My Work Here is Done


I just got finished watching the Redskins beat the Cowboys on Sunday when my sister Lynda called. We were talking about the game and my nephew Matthew got on the phone to whoop it up with me about the Skins win. He was talking about dreading school so I told him to fake sick tonight. He said, "I think my Mom is too smart for that". I explained that he needs to start coughing that night, during a commercial or as she is walking into the room. I stressed the importance of not "over doing it" and just to cough with no explanation. "You see Matthew", I explained, "it is like if you are dealt a full house, you don't go all-in on the first bet, you have to be subtle." He said he'd give it a shot. Then he wanted to talk to my dad. My dad asked him if he was going to get all A's. I got on the phone and told him, "don't listen to Grandpa, he got all C's when he was your age." Matthew's response, "Well, he is a very successful man for getting all C's!" "How astute Matthew", I said, "but you are missing my point. When you parents give you a hard time for getting a "C" just tell them that Grandpa got all C's and he is a very successful man." "OOOHHHHH, I see, that is a good one Aunt Cathy."

....my work here is done.

No comments: