Tuesday, August 14, 2007

My Aching Back!

Packing, moving, packing, lifting, packing….it’s amazing how much stuff two people can collect over a 48 year marriage. I mean, I ask you, does any couple need four full sets of china? And, over 100 serving dishes, 100 pans and dishes and….over 100 decks of playing cards? My mother would say “yes, of course”. But, I can assure you if you are the person who is tasked with the monumental effort to pack all the stuff, you would sternly disagree. Such is my world this week. Susan and I have been moving stuff from Mom and Dad’s over to my house and into storage. I have movers coming to move the heavy stuff like the armoires (everyone needs two, right) and the buffet table….but OH MY GOD did my mom have a lot of stuff.

The fun part is discovering curious items, such as my great-great grandfathers obituary which stated that he delivered mail in the Kansas territory in the mid to late 1800’s using a white horse to draw his carriage…he was from Denmark and his name was Petersen (who knew….my dad did, but he never told any of us about his grandmother’s dad). I came across a whole collection of Dad’s old press passes, from the Senate and Congress to the Department of Justice to the Chicago Press Club to some Rockefeller event….pretty neat collection. ALLLLLLLLL (over 500) of my mother’s recipes, even some I wrote down as a child. Each recipe on an index card and filed in the appropriate section, of course. Anyway, even though it is a seemingly endless task, it has its benefits.

Dad, Susan and I are getting increasingly aggravated over our beloved Cubs playing as of late. The Cubs are doing their late season annual nose dive. We are still hopeful, but if they keep it up, the Cardinals will pass both them and the Brewers. EPL Soccer Season is here!!! Thank God for Fox Soccer Channel!!! Much to Susan’s dismay, I can be found on the couch both Saturday and Sunday morning watching the live broadcasts from England. Look at it this way Susan, you can go back to your old “…Oh look, the score is still zero to zero…SHOCKER!” comments every time you pass by the TV set. (Well, you can do it a few times before I start throwing my coffee cup at you ).

We’ll let you all know how the move goes and hopefully I can post some more pictures soon.

LAH – you still need to tell me about the BIG conversation, I'll call you.

Crazy girl- you reading this? What do you think?

No comments: